Saturday 26 March 2011

Japan - A Few of My Favorite Things

When the dog bites, when the bee stings, I simply just think of my favorite things and I don't feeeel soooo baaaaaad! Once upon a time I had the opportunity to photograph a very talented musical family. John wanted studio shots of him with his instruments, but we did the family shots outside because Nadine was allergic to dogs and Shugo is in fact, a dog. Their little girl Justine was SO cute with her curls and her little violin. I LOVE the violin. Not sure why, but I do, and if I ever had the patience for it I would learn to play it. I don't think my patience could last that many years though, so it will be quite unlikely.

Photobucket

As we were taking pictures I had them playing different songs. It was seriously one of my favorite shoots! As we were walking back toward my house/studio a neighbor excitedly came out of her home... "My Favorite Things Kudasai! Play. Kudasai. Hi. My Favorite Things. My Favorite Things." John response? Ughhhh... Honey? How does that go? The Japanese woman, my neighbor, whom I have never met, nor even waved to (or bowed since that is their custom), nor did I even knew she spoke a single word of English, bursts out humming the tune. He tried to play it, and she quite forcefully corrected him. iie. iie. La La LA la. La La LA la... We were in the middle of our shoot, and also the middle of the street, trying to move on and continue. He was very polite though and he later informed me that what happened was a completely normal occurrence. He made that woman's day. I bet she never thought she would get a personal performance from a US Navy Band member right in her own yard. Of course she probably also never thought an American musician wouldn't know that song by heart.

Photobucket

Japan is still hurting. The mess caused by the earthquake will not be taken care of anytime soon. The lives that have been forever changed... Japan is still in desperate need of our prayers and support. I realize this post is a day late (and probably a dollar short too), but I saw this on a fellow photog's blog and wanted to post it up too. It was the reason for my not posting on Friday. If you want to help Japan and are not sure where to start, here is an option. The picture below looks pretty terribly on here, but there was a bloggers "Day of Silence" Friday started by For Japan With Love. Check it out and help our Japanese friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment