Wednesday 17 February 2010

Kevin Kesler Retirement

25 years. 25 years is a long time to be in the military. It's not an easy life to live. Picking up and moving every couple of years can be pretty rough on kids and spouses. So much time apart from your spouse. So much time away from your children. The military life is not easy. I realize it is a choice and no one is forced to be in the military, but regardless of that I give MAJOR kudos to those families who have survived 25+ years with the military, because that is what it is, surviving. Kudos to the spouses. Kudos to the children. Kudos to the spouses who are essentially single parents. KUDOS to the military people. Kevin and Priscilla, thank you for allowing me to photograph this huge step in your lives. It's an enormous change to a new chapter of your lives. Almost like starting a whole new book really. Enjoy it.

This was my first retirement ceremony. I had never even attended one before this. I loved it. The traditions, the honor, the pride. It was great. I feel like America doesn't have many traditions. We are not as old as so many other countries, and we are also the melting pot of the world. In the military though, that is where you will find all the traditions. I LOVE the shots below. You can see the emotion, the tradition, the pride and honor. The look on Priscilla's face says it all. I don't really have words for it, I just love it.



1 comment: