Tuesday 7 December 2010

Trick or Treat

The sun was so warm as I sat and read my book. Shugo slept happily behind me. I knew Brian would be home early cause he told me it would be a short day. Reading a book in the sunshine isn't so easy on the eyes. I realized that when I heard a knock on the window and couldn't see in. There was a glare and it was in the shade, yet I knew Brian was on the other side likely making some silly face trying to get my attention. I can't see. No reaction from me and Brian stops clearly disappointed.

As expected he comes out the side door to see me. I finish the sentence I am reading and look up and instantly my stomach lurches. What's wrong with his face?! Oh wait, maybe it's paint. They must have done some weird face painting. No. No that's not right...

Brian says a very slow and drained, something might not be right, Heeeyyy. This is Brian though. He always sounds like that! I nervously respond, "Hey, uh, what, What's wrong with your face?!" He gets closer, but it's still hard to see cause his face is in the shade. "There was a frag I don't know. I screwed up. They say I'm probably getting dropped." "Dropped?! What happened?! Are you ok? What the heck. Come inside." I start for the house, Brian trailing behind me (I am sure trying desperately to hold back his laughter).

Photobucket

As we start up the stairs and I am asking questions he says, "...is it that bad?..." Yes, psycho. Have you not looked in a mirror? Clearly you must have brain damage. "Uh, yeah. Are you OK? Is the rest of your body damaged? Where are you hurt?" We are in the house at this point and now I really can't see cause my eyes are still slowly adjusting from the sun. I stop in the hall cause this whole thing is weird and I can't see anyway. "Tell me what happened." Brian continues, "I dunno Holbrook and Fro had to walk home cause they crashed his truck...." Incoherent. This is not making sense. You said there was a frag. What is a frag? What is going on?! This is a trick! "Are you joking right now?!" Laughter. Now there is laughter! I swing at his face to cause some real damage but of course he blocks it.

All of this happened in a matter of probably 30 seconds. It seriously looked real from a distance and in the direct sun it was kinda bright and hard to tell and then once we got inside my eyes adjusted in time for me to swing at his fake wounds. I don't know what they are doing out there everyday. All I know is that he did say they were out in the field and already blowing things up. Personally, I am not sure that is the greatest plan so early in the training, but hey, what do I know? I would like to just point out that I did not freak out. I was very calm and rational (as always :) AND one time he came home looking like the below pic, so really, it could happen.

Welcome to EOD school. Brian better be watching his back cause he's got it coming for that one!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Oh Brian, that is soooo not funny! lol. I can't believe you would do that to your wife! And in your defense Joy I thought it looked pretty real and I didn't have the sun in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy :) You can help me beat him up in Utah!

    ReplyDelete