Tuesday 11 January 2011

This is Life

Life is frustrating and weird and all over the place. Before we came to Florida I promised myself that I would give my photography a real effort. San Diego failed. Japan, I didn't try (because of the failure of SD) yet I did it as a side business and did better than ever. In Japan as we were nearing our time to leave I thought that if I had not gotten a job immediately and I had actually given my photography business a real shot, I could have likely done very well with it. So I decided to force myself to give my business a real shot when we hit Florida.

A great idea and a terrible idea. It's a great idea because I needed that focus. The dedication. I could do it and it can work, and I will make it work. Florida will be amazing! It's a terrible idea because in reality things are easier said than done. In reality it's not easy to start a business from nothing (and by nothing I mean literally nothing because it's a whole different game when you go somewhere where you know no one and are brand new to everything this part of the country has to offer). In reality, we will only be in Florida for one year (and even that is unknown, it could be less!).

Who starts a business that is non-transferable and moves a year later to start all over again? Where will we be next? Spain? Guam? Hawaii? Virginia? California? None of it matters cause either way I will be starting from nothing again. At least our next station will be for at least three years. I look forward to that and at the same time I dread it cause I am not sure I can be in one place for that long. I will adjust because that is what I do, but I have become quite accustomed to moving regularly.

So, my point is, was my promise to myself to give my business everything I've got stupid? Maybe I should have planned that for our next duty station that will actually last more than one year? This is what I think about daily, because really, I don't know how to answer those questions. I see hope for my business here. I do have a few things going. At this point though I see it becoming a good side job in about a month or two, and well, the problem with that is we will be on our way out in six. My business will likely begin to flourish at the time of departure. Wonderful timing.

This is life. I spent yesterday online looking for a job. I applied to a couple, but more than anything I became frustrated with my situation. I just want a simple job. Something that pays halfway decent that is Mon-Fri and no evenings. I don't care if I am a receptionist or janitor. Problem is any jobs that I actually qualify for are below $10 an hour, and if I am going to work for less than $10 an hour I may as well put everything I got into my photography because I would likely make the same. So what is my plan? I am back on the photography plan. The thing that I have to remember is that no matter what I do with my time here in Florida it is going to be short lived. So I may as well enjoy it! Last night I was irritated because I want work. As we got into bed I apologized to Brian for being in a grumpy mood and he said, "That's ok. I know your frustrated, but really, I don't understand why. If I had nothing to do and could just lay in bed all day if I wanted that would be great!" That's one difference between the two of us that we've always known. I tend to be a bit of a workaholic so if I don't have enough work, I could go crazy! And that I am ;) Brian's comment made me realize that most people would likely be happy to be in my situation. I have a fresh start and all the time in the world to do what I deem important.

So here's to my photography business. Whether it takes off in the short time I have or not, that is what I will do here (unless I here back from those jobs I applied for yesterday...though they are unlikely). And my free time? Well, I have a puppy to fill that up. The little thing needs some serious training. Shugo too actually. I think having a puppy around makes him think he can break all our important rules... like last night he actually got on our bed! I don't know what he was thinking, but I was facing the other way and Brian was brushing his teeth. I felt a sneaky weight on the corner of the bed and rolled over to see giant Shugo attempting to literally sneak on the bed. Clearly, I have work to do!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment